Friday 18 September 2009

"I know it's dangerous - but it sure beats Rikers..."

This year we've already said goodbye to Lux Interior - wild-eyed frontman with The Cramps - at the age of 62.

Today I've been saddened to learn that Jim Carroll has died. He was just 60.



I must confess I haven't yet read The Basketball Diaries (famously filmed with Leonardo DiCaprio playing Carroll). But Forced Entries: The Downtown Diaries, detailing JC’s early ‘70s adventures with the Warhol scene, is a brilliantly evocative memoir of that place and time. A pre-fame Patti Smith used to bring Carroll donuts and chocolate milkshakes every morning for breakfast. And there’s an hilarious anecdote about Allen Ginsberg and a vibrator.

Although primarily a poet and author, Jim Carroll was also a musician. Fittingly his song ‘People Who Died’ is the most life-affirming song about death ever – and one of my favourite New York punk rock anthems. There’s a great version here:

http://www.myspace.com/jcarrollband

"I salute you, my brother..."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers